Sunday, November 17, 2013

1st week in Korea (November 17)

Hello 가족!

I have officially survived my first week here in Korea! It was very difficult, but also very rewarding! Now that I am a bit more coherent than the week before, I am going to try my best and summarize all that has happened.

This past Saturday, I had the opportunity of attending a joint mission conference in Seoul. One of the elders from the quorum of the seventy spoke to us about the role of missionaries and how we can be more effective. He truly reemphasized to me and my companion that we need to open our mouths and speak. Now...Sis. Kim does not have a problem with this, but I most certainly do. So my goal for this next week is just open my mouth and go. I will keep you updated on how that goes. Oh! I got to see cousin Sis. Blickenstaff this past weekend! She look very well and knows a lot more Korean than she thinks. We are not in the same zone, but we will see each other at the next zone conference!

This coming week, one of our investigators (남경연) is going to get baptized this Sunday! Sis. Kim and I were incredibly nervous because Sister Nam Kyong Yon was a bit apprehensive about paying tithing because she is on government assistance. Well, this past week a miracle has happened and she told us that she will do whatever God asks without hesitation. She has such a strong testimony of the church and the Book of Mormon. Although she is 86 years old, she has such a desire to read the Book of Mormon and so we are going to teach her how to read! I cannot talk about this sister enough, she has such a strong testimony and a heart of gold.

Another miracle that has occurred this week is that Sister Nam Kyon Yon's daughter and son-in-law have also accepted the invitation to be baptized! There date is December 22, 2013. Seriously, who could think of a better way to celebrate Christmas than with the baptisms of two people! I am so excited to be a part of their special day. I will definitely take pictures and keep you guys updated on their progress.

I am doing very well and my Korean is....getting better. I can say a few things, but for now my lack of Korean ability is being used as an advantage. My companion will literally ask people if I can practice Korean with them, which then leads them to asking why I am there. So, It is a great way to share the message and develop my speaking abilities. Do not worry about my safety, Sis. Kim and I are being very obedient and we are trying our best to stay away from dangerous areas. Luckily. the area that I serve in is fairly nice and we are mostly spending time with less active members. I will keep my eyes open and definitely listen to the promptings of the spirit.

It is so cold in Korea. There is something in the air that makes the cold pierce through my one coat! Do not worry...I will be buying a new coat this Thursday because we are going to the temple! Also, I love the coats here. Do you remember that puffy coat I hated in junior high? Well, those types of coats are all the rage in Korea. Seriously, everyone looks like they are about to climb Mount Everest, but in reality they are just walking to the subway. It is just great! 

I am eating very well...actually too well. Everyone in my area loves sister missionaries and are very intent on feeding us. I have never eaten so many meals in my entire life. Seriously, sisters here are not losing weight, but gaining more to love. So if you do not recognize me, let me know. Seriously, we are friends and family...LET ME KNOW. I cannot emphasize that enough. My companion is Korean and should tell me these things, but she is too nice and I love her for it. I love you all and miss you so much!!

Sis. Chao




No comments:

Post a Comment