Monday, May 5, 2014

Training...Week 1



Hello Family,

Wow, where do I begin? So much has happened in my last email that I don't even know where to start. First of all, I have become trainer and senior companion in 안양. Great, right? FALSE. I have no idea what I am doing half the time and my Korean is just....a lot of making things up as I go. Luckily, my new companion is really good at really doesn't mind that I am still learning along with her. Bright side is that we both are learning Korean at an abnormally fast pace. She is picking up things, slowly but surely. I have hopes that she will be a master Korean speaker by the end of this transfer. 

Oh, I jumped a lot...well my new companion is Sis. Amanda Kelly from Ontario, California. I believe that she knows Naomi! Seriously, how small is the world? She finished a year at BYU in Recreation Management and her favorite food is....AMERICAN FOOD. Haha I think the biggest obstacle we will have to overcome in our companionship is not the Korean, but the Korean food. If you have any tips on this, let me know because I really need to eat rice everyday. 

This past Thursday, Sis. Kelly and I met with 김재숙자매님 and it was not as bad as I thought. We found out that she doesn't really understand the purpose of the Book of Mormon. She also had other questions, but we were not able to understand it because...we are only semi-fluent in Korean. So after her lesson, Sis. Kelly and I decided that we really needed to get members involved in her lessons. Luckily, one of the members in our ward has promised to come to her lesson this coming Thursday. Another way we have addressed our language barrier is by having Sis. Kim text us questions before her lesson. That way we can prepare beforehand and be able to answer any questions she has. 

I must admit that I experienced a lot of discouragement and doubt this past week. There are a lot of times where I just did not feel adequate enough to be able to train a new missionary. She trusts me a lot and expects a lot from me, but sometimes I question whether or not I can meet those needs. There was one point this week where I had felt totally abandoned and just really wanting to give up. Finally on Saturday night, I went down on my knees and I poured out my heart to the Lord. I told him that I could not do it alone and that I felt somewhat alone. The next Sunday, my prayer was answered and I know that the Lord knows what He is doing and is willing to help me throughout my training period. First, in Relief Society and Priesthood meeting the bishop asked all the members to allow the missionaries to come over and practice teaching lessons in Korean. He even sent around a calendar to make sure that people signed up. Secondly, during the meeting, they sang one of my favorite Korean hymns...and it had nothing to do with the lesson. Seriously, miracle! I have never felt so happy in my entire life. Don't get me wrong, I am still terrified and have no idea what I am doing, but I think everything will be okay. 

Oh boy, that is a lot in a nutshell! I love you and miss you all! Thank you for everything and will continue to work hard! :D

-Sis. Chao

No comments:

Post a Comment