Friday, October 25, 2013

2nd week at the MTC



2nd Week  - September 15-21
Thank you for taking the time to write me individual letters. I am loving my time here at the MTC. I have never been pushed –intellectually, physically, or mentally as much as I have been here. There are times when I question my abilities, but the Lord has definitely been with me. I find the Korean language very difficult, but I have been able to learn it a lot faster than I have learning Hindi or Khmer. I’m not saying I am fluent at all, but there definitely something here (the Spirit) helping everyone in my branch and district.
The food here is absolutely horrendous. So, it may be safe to say that I won’t be gaining weight here (jealous?!!). Other than that, the MTC is where I am supposed to be now. I miss regular life and being with people that I love, but I am so glad that I chose to serve a mission. The blessings I have received and the closeness I feel with Christ is something I would never trade.
Korean Speaking District


Sister Chao and Sister Rose

Thank you for all the packages and letters. They truly are bits of happiness in a very trying day. I just re-read them whenever I need a little pick me up. I love you and will ‘chat’ with you soon.
 Love,
Sis Chao

Emails abstract to family members

 The MTC is really hard, but I am enjoying every minute of it. The classes are incredibly hard because they are mostly in Korean. I am learning the language, but it definitely is a trial... however, with every trial it brings me closer to Christ and Heavenly Father. It truly amazes me how present the spirit is here at the MTC. I am truly experiencing many blessings because of my decision to serve a mission. Anyways, more details to come in another letter.
 Thank you so much for taking the time to write me an email. Things here at the MTC are going very well. I currently live in 3M and I study in 7M. There are a lot of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean missionaries in those buildings. It has been really fun to run into all the missionaries and use whatever limited language abilities I have to respond back to them. Yes, the MTC teachers have been telling us to SYL (Speak your language) since Day 1. It has been helpful as my companion and I try to learn more of the Korean language, but we are nowhere near fluent. I am setting daily and weekly goals to help me increase my fluency. I can string together very simple sentences! The Lord truly is helping me as I learn the Korean language. If anything, the Lord is helping me understand my teachers when they speak Hangumar. 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Currently, there are 6 sister missionaries in my district and all of them are going to be serving in Seoul South! I am so very excited because many of these sisters have such kind and loving spirits. Although many of the elders and sisters in my district are just out of high school, they are very mature and know exactly why they are here. It truly is fun to see these elders and sisters grow from teenagers to adults within a week. They still have a ways to go, but they truly are going to change the world (in a spiritual aspect). I don't really know why they call preparation day P-Days because we have no down time whatsoever. I have no time to write letters, email, do laundry, eat, fold laundry, clean, shower, exercise, study scriptures, and learn Korean. Haha. Since are days are so long and jam packed, I can never tell what day it is! I am really excited to go to the temple, it will be both a mental and physical break and recharge. 
I do eat, but it is not my favorite part of the day. The branch is really good and I have been enjoying it. I have only been to church once, but it looks like it will teach me a lot. In Sacrament, the presidency randomly calls on one sister and brother to give a talk in Korean. It is so scary! You could literally cut the tension with a knife! Luckily, they did not call on me this past week, but who knows what will happen this Sunday. They have a small fireside followed by a church film. Last Sunday I was able to see a talk given by Elder Bednar about the Character of Christ. There were some bright points that I really want to talk to you about. I think you would love it because it reminded me so much about you! 
 Yeah, sleep deprivation is definitely something that most of us sisters will have to battle. How do they expect us to look pretty and smell nice in 30 minutes? Haha the hard water is something I am adjusting to, but it is bearable. I truly am loving my time here at the MTC. It is pushing me to my limits, but in a good way. I am going into the inferno and coming out as a better person.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
I am truly enjoying my experience here at the MTC. It has been very trying at times, but I have definitely felt myself coming closer to Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the spirit. The Korean language is hard to grasp at times, but everything is coming together. I am truly amazed at how far my district and I have come in a little over a week. I do not think that I would have been able to survive without the presence of the spirit and my understanding district/companion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Thank you for the package that you sent me, as well as the card. I have never laughed so hard in my entire life. The card truly was a bright spot in a pretty difficult day. 

Things here at the MTC are very difficult, but it definitely has brought me closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I do not think that I would have been able to survive without the presence of the spirit and my understanding district/companion.

Korean is a very difficult language, but oddly scientific. So, I am picking up on things slowly but surely. So our first investigator was definitely a learning experience. I think I was more worried about learning the language and pronunciation that I neglected to follow the spirit. I have learned that I can do it, but I have to be willing to let the spirit fill in the gaps whether that be the language barrier or knowledge. Other than that, it has been an incredible experience teaching our first "investigator." It turns out that our investigator is our second teacher at the MTC. It is quite embarrassing because he knows how bad we are at the language and teaching! I jest. Both of my teachers are incredibly nice and are more than willing to help us linguistically and spiritually. I have learned a lot in such a short amount of time.

Another thing I love about the MTC is the rigorous schedule. I never knew that I could handle 16 hours days when it does not revolve around public health! I do still crave naps every now and then, but overall I am learning to function on minimal amounts of sleep. 
The first Sunday was a bit terrifying because the branch president randomly calls on one elder and sister to give a talk in Korean. In the morning, you can cut the tension with a knife because everyone is scared that they will get called on. They have a small fireside followed by a church film. Last Sunday I was able to see a talk given by Elder Bednar about the Character of Christ. There were some bright points that I really want to talk to you about. I think you would love it because it reminded me so much about you!

Thank you for being such an amazing brother. I truly would not be the same person without your continual guidance and love. Thank you for everything!

Love,

Melanie




No comments:

Post a Comment