Monday, July 7, 2014

Life of a missionary




Hello Family,

So, this week has been incredible but the overall theme would probably be: Rejection. Now, I am not depressed about the continual rejection, but it does re-emphasize that I am a sister missionary. 

Now, I don't know if you remember this.....but there was one person Sister Kelly and I kept visiting at Homeplus. Well, this past week was her last week working in 안양 because she will be moving to another area. So, Sis. Kelly and I were determined to meet with her outside of Homeplus! Well the first time we asked her, she simply said..."oh, I am really busy." 

You think that would deter us, but then we decided to ask a different way. She then replied. "Oh, I don't really believe in church." Now, any normal person would just give up, but Sis. Kelly and I were determined to ask again after we talked for a little while longer. Well after the conversation, we just decided that we would come see her on her last day. Well when we asked her when she was working, she said "Oh, I have another dinner appointment." Sis. Kelly and I were super confused because all we really wanted to say was goodbye. Essentially, we were rejected 4 different times in 4 different ways. After we left Homeplus, Sis. Kelly and I just burst out laughing because no sane person would have continued to ask.

The best type of rejection while street contacting definitely has to be when people pretend that they don't understand what we are saying because they don't know English. The best part about that rejection is that we are speaking to them in Korean. Eventually, they give up and just listen to what we have to say. Although, I must say that it is really hard not to laugh when the reason they reject us is a bit ridiculous. Oh, how I love being a missionary.

This week, Sis. Kelly and I went on a hike with our new investigator 조명희 자매님. It was a beautiful hike up on a mountain close to our house. It had a beautiful view of all of the areas in 안양. While we hiked, Sis. Kelly and I were able to ask 조명희 자매님 about her religious background and build trust with her. We are hoping to have a real lesson with her later this week. After we went hiking, I tasted possibly the most unique tofu soup of all time. It smelt and tasted very differently. Sis. Kelly tried to eat it, but literally could not control her gagging. I tried not to laugh out loud, but she was a champion and ate the food. 

Other than that, this week has been relatively normal. All of our investigators are doing well and continue to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Some of our investigators are slower than others, but it is okay because it is the Lord's time and not ours. We just have to make sure that they are building a relationship with the Lord. 

-Sis. Chao

No comments:

Post a Comment